• FAQs

    Funding care

    How do you pay for long term care?

    If you need long-term care you should check with your local authority about the support they give. The Social Services department will make an assessment of your care needs. They will also assess your income and savings. If your income and savings are low, the local authority will pay in full or in part the costs of your long-term care.

    What happens if I have savings above the limit set by the local authority?

    If your savings and capital are worth between £14,250 and £23,250, the council will contribute towards the fees of the care home, but you will have to pay a charge known as ‘tariff income’ from your savings.

    If you have savings and capital worth over £23,250, you will have to pay all of the fees of the care home until your money reduces to this limit.

    How much does long term care cost?

    Long term care charges vary from one area to another and according to the type of care you need.

    What happens with nursing care needs?

    If you have been assessed as having needs that should be met in a nursing care home, you will be eligible for the nursing element of your care in the home to be paid for by the NHS. A registered nurse, either at your care home or appointed by the Primary Care Trust, will conduct an assessment of your nursing needs. If a social worker or care manager is involved in your care arrangements, they should arrange for an assessment for nursing care to be carried out before you move into a care home.

    If you have nursing needs that require 24-hour continuous nursing care, you may be entitled to full NHS funding for your care home fees.

    What about the property I own?

    You may consider funding your care by releasing equity (money) from the value of your home by using a ‘lifetime mortgage’ or ‘home reversion’ scheme; but if you do, you should seek independent financial and legal advice. It would also be a good idea to contact the Department for Work and Pensions to find out if this would affect any social security benefits you are receiving.

    What if I need care and support at home?

    You may be able to claim social security benefits to help meet the cost of any extra care and support that you require at home.

    If you qualify for free or subsidised care organised through your local authority, you can choose to have ‘Direct Payments’ or ‘Individual Budgets’ whereupon you will receive payments from the local authority to choose and arrange your own care needs independently. Alternatively you can ask the local authority to arrange your care for you.

    Should you wish to arrange your own care and support, either self funded or by using a ‘Direct Payment’ or ‘Individual Budget’, the charges for the help you need will depend upon the type of help you want and when you want it.

    A number of things affect the cost of your care and support; there may be extra charges for care provided early mornings, in the evenings, at weekends, and on public holidays and the length of visits may affect how much you have to pay.

    Residential care

    Why should I choose a Care South home?

    Each Care South home has carefully selected staff to ensure that we meet the care needs of our residents and make it a good place to live. Our value base puts you first and our organisation ensures the atmosphere and daily living arrangements are to your satisfaction. Care South is the leading provider of quality care across the South of England.

    Do you cater for people who have dementia?

    Care South caters for a wide range of people with a range of conditions including those who have dementia.

    Do you cater for couples?

    Yes we do. In some homes we have larger double bedrooms and in others you can have two rooms one for a bedroom and one for a sitting room.

    How will you cope with the particular requirements of any special diet?

    Our chefs are fully aware of the dietary needs of our residents. Many individuals have special requirements which must be carefully followed and we ensure that these needs are made known to our catering staff who will discreetly follow the individual plans. At the same time food is a very important part of life and whether you have special needs or not we go to great lengths to provide nutritious, balanced meals with a good range of choice.

    I'm not used to living with lots of people around - can I maintain privacy?

    Your individual requirements are very important to us. We want to know how you like to be addressed, how you want to spend your time and whatever else is important to you. We respect your privacy and will listen to what that means for you. There are activities and aspects of daily living which many residents enjoy joining in with, but you will not be under pressure to take part if that is your wish. There are a range of areas in our homes including quiet areas.

    I've gone to church for many years but getting in and out of cars is difficult - can you help?

    Maintaining your own lifestyle and interests is important and we will do all we can to help you. In all our homes we have links with local church groups who take services and provide the opportunity to take communion in the home. If you have particular spiritual requirements we will do our best to ensure that we help you maintain your faith activities.

    How well are your staff trained?

    As a company we value training highly. Care South has a recognised in-house Training Centre and many of our care staff have recognised qualifications in care.

    Every new member of staff undergoes an induction course so they are thoroughly introduced to the Care South approach and basic skills.

    Continuous Professional Development is encouraged for all our staff.

    Can I bring my computer/favourite writing desk?

    It is important that your room is personalised and is your own space. If you have a computer we can accommodate that and you can install your own telephone line into your bedroom. Items of furniture can help you feel at home – the only considerations are space – the three piece suite might not fit and furniture must meet fire regulations.

    Home Care

    What training do your care and support staff receive?

    All care and support assistants working for Care South receive comprehensive training (before visiting any customers) and many have achieved NVQ/diploma qualifications.

    I have got to the stage where I am unable to cope alone - however I am not sure exactly what type of assistance would best meet my needs. How can you help me decide?

    At Care South we have experienced staff available to visit you in your own home and guide you through our range of services. Together we will be able to tailor our flexible range of services to meet your needs.

    Am I correct in thinking that Care South only provides care for the elderly?

    No. Although Care South has residential homes which provide care for older people, home care within Care South is provided to all age groups including babies, children, young adults, adults and older people.

    My current care provider is always sending me different care assistants, I never know who is coming and I am fed up with telling each new person what I would like them to do. Would care from you be any different?

    Yes. At Care South we ensure that your care or support is provided by as few staff members as possible in order that you can build up a rapport with them. These staff will only change during holiday or sickness cover. Also, when your care and support needs are first discussed with you, a ‘care and support plan’ will be written, and a copy provided to both your care staff and to you. This ensures that our staff know what tasks you want them to perform when they visit you.

    What happens if my carer is off sick or on holiday?

    If your carer is off sick or on holiday we will contact you and offer you an alternative care assistant to attend your visit. This visit may be at a slightly different time to your usual time, but would still be within reasonable time to accommodate your needs.

    What happens if I need help at short notice or have an emergency?

    At Care South we provide a telephone support line for both our customers and staff which is manned from 6.30am to 10.30pm, seven days per week. During these times we have senior staff available to cope with emergency situations both over the telephone and in person at your home.

    Assisted Living

    What is Assisted Living?

    Assisted Living houses and apartments enable you to enjoy extended privacy and independence, in the grounds of neighbouring care homes. They includes the provision of fully managed property and grounds maintenance, with the opportunity to have as much or as little domestic, personal care and general support assistance as you wish.

    Who can live in an Assisted Living property?

    The services and facilities have been designed specifically for anyone who is over 55 (or is married to someone over 55).

    Can I get personal care in my home?

    Yes, you can have a tailor-made package to suit your needs, such as help with bathing, dressing, meals, for example.

    Who provides these services?

    The services are provided in house, by a dedicated team of carers, managed by a Home Care Manager.

    If my spouse or I need full nursing care, can we move to the nursing home?

    Yes, provided we have a room available and Matron has agreed it is the best place for you. We will always try to give priority to existing residents.

    Can I bring my own furniture and effects?

    Yes, it is your home and you can bring whatever you want to fit in it.

    Can I bring my pet dog or cat?

    As a rule we discourage people from bringing pets into our schemes. However, there may be exceptions!

    If I become frailer and require more assistance will I have to move again?

    No, not unless your GP recommends it. Our aim is to ensure you can be cared for within your home by our own team of carers for as long as you need us.

    Is care available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

    Yes, for emergencies, including Christmas and New Year.

    Do I insure the property?

    We insure the buildings and furnishings in the common parts, you only need to insure the contents within your own home.

    Is the property for rent or leasehold, any terms etc?

    This may vary between schemes. If the rent option is taken, rent is payable monthly in advance with two months deposit payable.

    Does it have a guest room for friends and family, how long can they stay?

    Not all properties have this facility but where this is available, guests can stay by arrangement with the scheme manager.

    Will the garden be maintained for me, and can I do some gardening if I want to?


    Is there some form of warden and service staff for cleaning and staff for providing meals and laundry etc?

    There is a dedicated team of care and support staff available for both care and domestic tasks. Meals are provided by the nursing home and delivered to you and laundry tasks if required, would be carried out within your home.

    What levels of care and medical services are available, are there any requirement criteria for the prospective resident in terms of minimum care level requirements?

    We carry out a full needs assessment prior to you taking up residence to ensure that we can meet your needs. There is no minimum care need requirement. Should nursing care be required, this would be provided by the district nurse, all other care is provided by our care and support staff.

    Can I alter the property structurally or cosmetically in any way?

    Only with prior consent and agreement.

    Is there any parking?

    Parking is available at each property either directly outside the property or in a reserved parking area.

    What notice is required if I wish to leave?

    Two months notice is required.

    Is the rent reviewed?

    Yes, annually.