A sweet treat to finish off a delicious dinner
Talbot View head chef Lee Hanmore shares his recipe for a tried and tested dessert that’s a firm favourite for those with a sweet tooth.
To make 8 portions (10 portions for a smaller appetite)
- 250g Plain flour
- 130 g Unsalted butter
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 5 Large eggs
- 4 Lemons
- 130ml Double cream
- 220g Caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175c / Gas Mark 4
- In a bowl, combine the flour, icing sugar and butter. This can be done by hand or using a food processor / mixer. Once the mixture gets to a breadcrumb consistency add the egg yolk, continue to mix until a dough is formed (this may require a small amount of water).
- Knead 2 or 3 times but avoid overworking the pastry. Wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes
- Grease a 9” fluted tin. Dust a work surface with flour and roll the chilled pastry out until 1-2cm thick. Place in the tin and trim any excess pastry from the edges. Cut a circular piece of greaseproof paper slightly bigger than the tin and place over the pastry. Add baking beans or rice and bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans/ rice and leave to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, break the eggs and add the sugar, lemon juice, zest, and double cream. Whisk until the mixture is well combined then pour into the pastry case.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 170c until the tart has a slight wobble in the middle.
- Remove and leave to cool before dusting with icing sugar and serving with fresh berries.