A sweet and moist slice of indulgence
Elizabeth House care home chef Stuart Pike shares his recipe on National Carrot Cake Day.
To make 8 portions (10 portions for a smaller appetite)
- 155ml Sunflower oil
- 230g Self-raising flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1½tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½tsp Mixed spice
- 230g Light brown muscovado sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 satsuma
- 200g Crushed walnuts (plus a few extra walnuts for decorating)
- 260g Carrots, grated
- 3 Medium eggs
For the icing
- 50g Butter
- 200g Full-fat cream cheese
- 100g Icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar, zest, walnuts and grated carrots. Stir in the eggs and oil, then mix well.
- Bake in the oven for an hour at 160C. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before putting on cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until really soft. Add the cream cheese, icing sugar & orange zest and mix well. Put in fridge until cake is well cooled.
- Carefully cut the cake in half then spread half the icing between the cake layers and the other half on top. Decorate with walnut halves or crushed walnut.